Saturday, October 8, 2011

My First Plein Air Painting

The key word here is "First", so don't hold me to great expectations.  My only goal was to try out my new Coulter Plein Air System from Art Box and Panel.  I'm still a bit shy of making a spectacle of myself by trying to set this up in the middle of some park, where people can see me fumbling around with the gear.  So I gave it a trial run out on my back patio.  You can't see it, but I did have a tarp down to protect my husband's masterpiece, The Patio.

I actually took my packed backpack outside as if I were on a location (to my daughter's amusement).  I quickly realized the little things that I needed which I hadn't packed, so I kept "cheating" and running into the house for this and that.  It wasn't long before the sun was shining on my palette and my pupils were going nuts trying to adjust from looking at my sunlit pallet, the scenery, and the silhouetted canvas.  This is why I did a trial run...so I can figure out how to do this outdoor painting thing.  I have a magazine about tips and tricks, but I haven't read it yet because the fall leaves aren't going to wait.  Today was the day to get out there!  The trees are yellow and orange, and it was 75 degrees outside.  Loved it!

1 comment:

JanettMarie said...

So cool Connie!

Great choice in plein air systems, looks like it is really light! I was just looking at that one earlier this week and thought, now that's the one to get! And you did!

Great painting too! Love the colors.