Monday, November 18, 2013

Granny Smith on Pink

"Granny Smith on Pink"   8" x 6"   Oil on Panel

This little painting was created in the workshop I took with Carol Marine.  In my earlier post about that class, I had mentioned that this was an exercise to train us to stop the over-blending with the brush, and to let each brushstroke be a new (even if slightly) mix of color.  To accomplish this successfully, the artist has to train her mind to know what the values are and where they go, and then plan the order in which the strokes overlap each other to carve out the shapes.  This skill is good for a painting that is impressionistic up close, but realistic from afar...my favorite kind of painting!

2 comments:

JanettMarie said...

Great painting Connie, you nailed it!

Wendy Barrett said...

Hi Connie, I have just discovered your great blog (love the September on Red Velvet animation!)
This is such a luscious painting! You are so talented! I enjoyed seeing the photos of the great time you had painting with Carol Marine and the other students.