Sunday, January 12, 2014

Poinsettia Study

In a very wishy-washy commitment to participate in Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days Challenge, I am doing some experimentation on various surfaces. 


This one is done on Arches Oil Paper.  I liked feeling like I could paint faster and looser and not worry about failing and potentially wasting a board or canvas.  This paper is oil primed and ready to take oil paint (ordinary paper will deteriorate from oil paint).  Now, when the paint dries, I can choose to mount this onto board or gatorbord, and it will be ready to hang.  I really liked painting on this paper.  The surface had a soft, mildly textured surface like a watercolor or printmaking paper, and that feels very familiar to me (I used to draw in colored pencil all the time).

I really enjoyed slathering on the oil paint in the background with a palette knife...like buttering a piece of bread.

This makes my 3rd painting of the challenge.  It's Day 12 of the challenge.  So far, not so good.  Oh well.  It should be called "30 paintings in 30 weeks."  :)     

3 comments:

Helen H Trachy said...

I like your painting very much, One of my favorite of the day! Good luck!

Sandrine said...

One of my favorites today too. It's simply gorgeous!

JanettMarie said...

Wow, very nice poinsettia!
Okay, I'm in, thirty paintings in 30 weeks!